Lies and Propaganda

Getting Down with my Bad Self

Sunday, September 07, 2003

Truth is stranger than....

I know, I know. It's been awhile, and anyone who was interested in this probably stopped reading it.
But, nevertheless.....

My first week of teaching was weird.
Kids bring things to school like playstations, and mp3 players. And such cool cell phones, i have never even seen them before.

And, it's a good thing they wear uniforms, because Friday was "free dress" day, and I'm pretty sure one girl in my group was wearing brand-name merchadise worth more than my entire paycheck.

To top off the weirdness, we met in "regular" (and I use that term loosely) classes for one day, and then spent the rest of the week in a discombobulated haze of buses, trains, and trips to various parts of the city. We did community service (park cleanup and mulching) in the pouring rain. But at least is wasn't buggy. We went into town to visit a non-profit agency to find out why people work for places where they don't make any money. (heck, they could have just asked anyone on the faculty that question.) We went into town on public transportation to complete a scavenger hunt. That was fun, except my team was especially motivated, and they were literally jogging from the train station to each selected destination. I havent' run so much since, well, I don't know when. I don't run. But I had to keep up, they were my charges. So, there you have it.

I guess I felt like an outsider, because I don't know any of the kids, and the only reason I had anything to say was when they were throwing sharp, pointy, metal gardening tools up in the air about 10 feet or so. And then, my only comment was, "HEEY...no throwing of sharp, pointy metal gardening tools." I felt like killjoy, but it had to be said.

Oh, and the shower went very well, amazingly enough. Everyone was on their best behavior, and even my mom had a good time. Truly, a miracle. Now, if the wedding would just go that smoothly....






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home