Lies and Propaganda

Getting Down with my Bad Self

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

nyc

I am writing this post from the road, as I am in NYC this week.

This class is interesting, although I do feel a bit out of place.

My favorite thing to do in NY is walk the streets. (No, my dirty-minded constituency, NOT like that!)

I just like walking around seeing what is there. There is so much to see.

I walked down to ground zero today, as it is very close to my class, and I was surprised to see that they have it largely blocked off due to all the construction. I could only peer through some corrugated metal where windows had been cut out. I didn't have much time, either...only about 20 minutes or so--to get there and back...and look--I wasn't there but for a moment or two.

It amazed me to see & hear the people streaming past...talking of the weather, their shoes, dropping the f* bomb for no reason, and complaining about the construction. It was like....everything.... was....normal. It was sorta like a tree that sustained heavy damage, and then just grew right around it. You can still see the damage, but healthy progress forms on all sides.

I don't know what I expected, but to come face-to-face with the resiliency of the human spirit right after lunch wasn't one of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home