Lies and Propaganda

Getting Down with my Bad Self

Sunday, July 06, 2003

hi everyone, i hope you had a splendiferous fourth of july.

my weekend: stress packed.
well, I'm not packed, which is part of the problem.

But for the fourth, we went to a party w/ some of bf friends, nice folk--crazy drunks.
It was a good time.

we schlepped over to the iwo jima memorial to see the fireworks. i wish we could have been closer, just because the booms don't rattle your chest as well from so far away, but it was nice nonetheless.

fireworks remind me of my dad. I don't know why. well, they play alot of sousa, who dad was a big fan of.
and anything ragtimey, which is a very american musical genre, so sometimes they play that as well.

when i was little, we weren't allowed to go see fireworks, because my sister was freakishly frightened of them. I mean, she'd run and scream and scream and scream and cry. thunder was also a HUGE problem at my house, but i could be persuaded to be scared of loud thunder as well--i can't hold that against them. However, the fireworks were another matter. so, to remedy that problem, we just didn't go. which i found very unfair, since i loved fireworks. occassionally one parent (usally dad) would take me, and leave mom to calm down the tantrum thrower.

Now, for some reason, I always think of my dad when i watch them. I listen to the music, and feel fiercely patriotic, and very lucky to live where i live, and have the things that i have. most of the time, i am sad to say, i don't really think about it. i don't think about it during the weenie roasts, or at christmas time, or valentine's day, but i always think about it during the fireworks display on the fourth. and i think about what my dad would say about the music. he'd lean over and say things like "you know when this was written? they are playing it slower than usual, or they've added different accompaniment..." whatever. he liked to point out things that were wrong, or why they were the way they were. that was just dad. but every fourth of july, i hear him in my head. and it makes me sad.

i miss him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home